[nycphp-talk] email system for website

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:16:56 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM,  <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a website right now and am in charge of implementing email functionality.

What does that mean?  What specifically are you in charge of
implementing.  Are you going to build and maintain an Emailor api that
other developers will use?  If so, designing a easy to use API should
be your primary focus.

> At first, I thought about keeping active emailing inside the web code, and passive emailing inside a cron, but that doesn't allow for much control.

Specifically what kind of control do you need?

It really sounds like you really have your mind set on building a
fancy pants queue system, but cant really justify it.  Frankly, I
think you are doing some technical masturbation, want to build
something far more complicated than is actually needed, and want to
solve problems that don't really exist.  At first, you described your
problem as having dual codebases, and then it morphed into a
performance discussion.  Which is it?

I think about code from the perspective, "would I want to maintain
this?", and between, "hooks", "triggers", "multi threaded perl
scripts", I think you are making sending email overly complicated.
Your system may work, but you are running a really high risk that
someone in the future is going to look at the system and curse your
name.

Personally, I'd focus on the API, and message generation more than the
sending mechanism.  The delivery implementation should be easy to
change later.

Regards,
John Campbell