[nycphp-talk] email system for website

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:48:40 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Matt Juszczak <matt at atopia.net> wrote:
>>  The term "REST" is an early predictor for project failure a year or two
>> down the road.  More than once I've been the guy who cleans up the mess
>> after somebody ignorantly blunders into using "REST" for something that it's
>> not appropriate for.
>
> Well, we didn't go that route.  We had three choices: Put database logic
> inside the webserver code base, put it in the database, or put it somewhere
> in the middle.  We decided on putting it in the database, which ties us to
> using MySQL, but allows us to write a lot more front ends a lot easier.

The queue system seems reasonable given you are putting lots of logic
in the database.  I have no experience with such systems, but I do
understand the appeal in a mixed language environment, or if you were
incrementally migrating from one code base to another.

Just looking through my own code, I have code like:

$m = new Emailor();
$m->To($email)
  ->bind('user',$user)
  ->bind('order',$order)
  ->bind('payment_information',$payment_information)
  ->send('order_confirmation.tpl');

For my application, it is easier to generate the contents of the email
in the front end.  The email messages can get really complicated and
change based on 10 parameters.  It could get really messy if you have
to save all 10 parameters in the queue.  It is not always going to be
as easy as the forgot password & user_id case.

Regards,
John Campbell