[nycphp-talk] error log monitor, git, github

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Fri Jan 29 09:48:20 EST 2010

Hey Folks:

I recently started working with Git for version control.  The learning
curve was a bit awkward due to Git using command names from CVS and
Subversion but having them do different things.  Plus it's a slightly
different work flow and there are several new commands/configurations to
figure out.  But now that I'm getting the hang of it, I like it.

One notable difference: in general practice, don't keep uncommitted
changes and unmanaged files in your working directories when you perform
pulls (updates), merges or commits.  You either commit them or "git
stash" them.  Stashing puts the files and diffs into the repository, but
without really committing them.  It's kind of a temporary storage area.
Then once you've updated/merged/whatever, you "git stash apply" them back
to their original location.

Anyway, I wanted to have this first project's repository be publicly
accessible, making it easier to manage updating multiple installations
with their various settings and customizations.  So I figured it was time
to sign up for a GitHub account.  Again, so far, so good.  The signup
process, user interface and documentation were all pretty decent --
though some bits of the user interface require JavaScript without really
indicating so.

Then I figured, "now that I have this account, what else can I host
there?"  This inspired me to finish something I've had on the back burner
for about a year now... a Perl script to monitor my PHP error logs.
This approach is necessary for two reasons.  First, while user-defined
error handlers are excellent, if PHP goes fatal, so does the error
handler.  Second, if the PHP install is really broken, a log observer
written in PHP won't do much good.

http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/log_monitoring_solution/

http://github.com/convissor/log_monitoring_solution

Enjoy,