[nycphp-talk] Mongo...sharding??

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:17:09 EDT 2010

I mean just in case: :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shard_%28database_architecture%29

Shard database architecture
Horizontal partitioning is a database design principle whereby rows of
a database table are held separately, rather than splitting by columns
(as for normalization). Each partition forms part of a shard, which
may in turn be located on a separate database server or physical
location.

This is also why sharding is related to a shared nothing architecture
- once sharded, each shard can live in a totally separate logical
schema instance / physical database server / data center / continent.
There is no ongoing need to retain shared access (from between shards)
to the other unpartitioned tables in other shards.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Anthony Wlodarski
<anthony at dating2p0.com> wrote:
> It sounds scary but the LHC and CERN are field testing the sharding.  I
> believe they are hyping this up for the 1.6 RC 1 which offers replica sets
> and sharing.
>
> -Anthony

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa