[nycphp-talk] PHP App for Sharing Files

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:05:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Edward Potter <edwardpotter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dropbox just became the biggest hit in years.

Dropbox not ideal if you want to manage user and group access to a
shared file storage domain.

It rocks for individual and small-group sharing though.

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a simple PHP web application for sharing files over the web?
>> I'm looking for something very simple and light weight but which has a
>> web based user administration control panel and group based access
>> control.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Depending on whether you want to tinker a little, it's easy to hack
together an admin interface for .htaccess and .htdigest files and use
Apache WebDAV for this.

Then again, I'm sure that wheel has been reinvented often.

WebDAV is an excellent choice for this because Windows 7, OS X, and
Linux all support mounting WebDAV shares as network filesystems... or
in a pinch you can use it read-only with a browser.