[nycphp-talk] PHP App for Sharing Files

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 11:41:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like what I want though. The WebDAV sync aspect is great.
> What is the closest thing to a clone of dropbox?

WebDAV is a completely different approach, and gives you a traditional
network filesystem: a single set of files, shared over the net by many
users.

Dropbox uses a proprietary protocol to keep a set of local files in
sync on different computers. An open source clone of it would be a
heavy lift, considering that you need developers who can write
equivalent file manager extensions for Windows, OSX, and Linux, along
with the server architecture to keep it all going.