[nycphp-talk] Live chat features or similar functionality.

Anthony Wlodarski ant92083 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:58:02 EDT 2010

If I was the sole developer (which I am) $80 would be a steal but then I
have to worry about limitations of the software as well as the
ability/inability to add my own custom code to mould it to my needs.  I had
a chance to scan the XMPP website and I like what I see so far.  I am going
to spend an hour this afternoon learning more about the product and what is
involved in the implementation.  Thank you Dan and Ajai for the
recommendations.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Dan Cech <dcech at phpwerx.net> wrote:

> On 3/19/2010 9:42 AM, Anthony Wlodarski wrote:
> > I was discussing with one of the product development individuals at my
> > company the idea of implementing a live chat interface akin to Facebook.
> > Are there any existing open source initiatives (php based) that mimic
> this
> > behaviour or am I going to have to re-invent the wheel Facebook created?
>
> I would go with XMPP in the backend, there are plenty of clients
> available in different languages (including pure javascript).
>
> > Google unfortunately has failed me when I typed in the search term
> "facebook
> > chat php clone".  CometChat seemed like a good alternative but I cannot
> > understand the price jump from 49.99 for a branded license to a 129.99 no
> > branding version.
>
> How much development time does $80 buy you if that's the only reason
> you're looking at rolling your own?
>
> Dan

Anthony W.
ant92083 at gmail.com