[nycphp-talk] Adding indexes

Adrian Noland anoland at
Mon Mar 22 12:17:39 EDT 2010

In addition to what others said...

There is a lot more instruction both online and offline, but here is a brief
example illustrating EXPLAIN:

The docs can be a bit dense if you're not familiar with what you are looking
for, but here it is for reference:

The first things you need to look at are the `type` and `ref`s columns. They
will tell you what, if any, keys are used. Another thing to look for is any
comments in the `Extra` column. If that has NULL, or 'filesort', or 'full
scan' then you have some work to do.

I took a glance at the slides in this page and they look informative, but I
haven't watched the presentation. I will need to d/l it and watch it later.