[nycphp-talk] utf-8, iso-8859-1...

Chris Snyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Thu May 6 11:56:09 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM, David Mintz <david at davidmintz.org> wrote:

> Would this regex work if the data were utf-8? Should I consider converting
> everything and working in utf-8, and if so, how painful is it to convert a
> MySQL database? My initial research suggests that it isn't painless.

Full-stack utf-8 is worth the pain of conversion. It makes a whole
class of issues disappear and gives you the ability to accept anything
the world is going to throw at you.

Many php functions are not unicode aware (and php6 will be release
right after perl6) but in practice those issues are much easier to
deal with than trying to limit your data to iso-8859-1.