[nycphp-talk] Plagiarism Checker in PHP

Edward Potter edwardpotter at gmail.com
Fri May 14 16:16:26 EDT 2010

slight topic drift, but what the heck ... on the topic of Plagiarism . . .

plagiarism?  i thought it was called "Mixing and Sampling" now. :-)

leave it to the 17 year olds to re/define things, for the better of course!
:-)

Author, 17, Says It’s ‘Mixing,’ Not PlagiarismAlthough Ms. Hegemann has
apologized<http://www.buchmarkt.de/content/41393-axolotl-roadkill-helene-hegemann-und-ullstein-verlegerin-dr-siv-bublitz-antworten-auf-plagiatsvorwurf.htm?hilite=ullstein-plagiat>for
not being more open about her sources, she has also defended
herself <http://www.thelocal.de/society/20100209-25143.html> as the
representative of a different generation, one that freely mixes and matches
from the whirring flood of information across new and old media, to create
something new. “There’s no such thing as originality anyway, just
authenticity,” said Ms. Hegemann in a statement released by her publisher
after the scandal broke.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/world/europe/12germany.html

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Hans Zaunere <lists at zaunere.com> wrote:

> > Actually turnitin.com, a website where students turn in schoolwork,
> > checks for plagiarism and from what I understand does a pretty good
> > job. They compare both student-to-student and student-to-literature.
> > I'm not sure how they pull it off, probably a proprietary algorithm
> > that tries to match student submissions against their database of
> > content where no match = no plagiarism.  It seems like a mammoth task
> > though. Turnitin.com actually crawls academic journals, books, etc. to
> > populate their database.
> >
> > If you're interested only in comparing submissions to your site against
> > one another that may be more manageable. If on the other hand you want
> > to compare against online/print content in general then that will prove
> > a real challenge. Finally, if you have the money maybe you can register
> > with turnitin.com - although my impression is that their primarily for
> > universities/colleges.
> >
> > http://turnitin.com/static/index.html
>
> Interesting, didn't realize stuff like this was out there...
>
> And anyway, I thought this appropriate on this thread for a Friday:
>
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100514/0133339425.shtml

IM/iChat: ejpusa
Links: http://del.icio.us/ejpusa
Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/ejpusa