[nycphp-talk] Amazon's new Free Tier

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 13:58:36 EST 2010

FYI, as a birthday gift to me[my birthday was October 20th and they
announced it on the 21st, clearly geared towards me!], Amazon has introduced
a new "free" pricing tier.

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

If you sign up for a new AWS developer account, you get a bunch of free
storage space and server time each month for a year.  Highlights are:

   - 750 hours of Amazon EC2 <http://aws.amazon.com/ec2> Linux Micro
   Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) –
   enough hours to run continuously each month*
   - 10 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage <http://aws.amazon.com/ebs>, plus
   1 million I/Os, 1 GB of snapshot storage, 10,000 snapshot Get Requests and
   1,000 snapshot Put Requests*
   - 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage <http://aws.amazon.com/s3>, 20,000 Get
   Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests*
   - 30 GB per of internet data transfer (15 GB of data transfer “in” and 15
   GB of data transfer “out” across all services except Amazon CloudFront)*

   -

So, basically you can run a VPS on their micro instance for free, equivalent
to a virtual linux server that you rent from others for upwards of 20$ a
month.

The only downside is that at the moment, most public EBS images are sized to
15GB, so you can't run that image all month long for free[though if you run
it for half the month, since that is 7.5GB on average for the month it will
be free!]

I am in the process of resizing the official Alestic Ubuntu images...my aim
is to fit them into a 5GB image so in theory you could run 2 of them and
only pay for the extra hours.  Also pre-installing a decent LAMP[and NAMP]
environment and maybe a one click Joomla/Drupal setup.

Note: I find that it is 613MB of memory DOES sometimes have a problem with
installing some of the heftier apps[it stalled on installing the Java based
Amazon EC2 tools] - so at times you will need to run the heftier small image
size where you get over 1.5GB of memory...  you can launch an EBS based AMI
from any Amazon package....but to take full advantage of them you need to
run them through the api or command line so you can attach your ephermeral
storage on boot.