[nycphp-talk] silent failure with PHPUnit and Zend Framework

David Mintz david at davidmintz.org
Thu Sep 23 12:23:48 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Rob Marscher
<rmarscher at beaffinitive.com>wrote:

> Let us know what it was when you find it.

I have a bootstrap.php in which I inserted an ob_start() a long time ago,
because for reasons I don't entirely understand, I was getting errors about
sending cookie headers after some other output, a problem that was happening
only in the CLI environment. ob_start() seemed to solve it.

Just now I tried commenting out that line, and behold:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 40961 bytes) in
/usr/share/downloads/ZendFramework-1.10.4/library/Zend/View/Abstract.php on
line 879

But I tried to reproduce the error more than once, and got the silent
failure again. This message hasn't reappeared.

I have upped the memory limit to 64M in both /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini as
well as /etc/php5/cli/php.ini. Same story: still bonking without emitting an
error message, even with that output buffering turned off.

At least now I have good reason to suspect a memory issue.

@Chuck: all my test files have a test in them, all my setUp() methods call
parent::setUp(), and none of my test files override __construct().

--
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/