[nycphp-talk] PHP html DOM manipulation

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Fri Aug 5 19:11:42 EDT 2011

Personally, I'm a fan of SimpleHTMLDOM,
http://simplehtmldom.sourceforge.net/, which has a great interface, but
uses string parsing instead of DOM.

I haven't had much experience with these others:
phpQuery:     http://code.google.com/p/phpquery/
Zend_Dom:   http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.dom.html
QueryPath:   http://querypath.org/
FluentDOM:  http://www.fluentdom.org/

That said, if you're trying to replace simple javascript functionality
for anything besides parsing HTML, I might argue that you might not be
doing enough javascript.  I don't know your client(s) / empoyer(s) /
project(s), but I've found in the past 2+ years that I could do so much
more in javascript and keep php in the back for the heavier lifting and
data access.  The recent flourishing of interesting javascript-heavy
sites has essentially guaranteed javascript is enabled on most
browsers.  I recently released a javascript-heavy site that is accessed
by tens of  thousands of non-technical people every day and there
haven't been any complaints (besides the occasional javascript bug that
buzzed past my tests).

Of course, that always depends on your market.  Accessibility is a
serious js-heavy issue.  And some sites need to be js-light for
backwards compatibility (banks and other such institutions come to
mind).  But if those specific cases aren't in your way, I might
recommend getting cozier with JS instead of trying to replace it with
PHP.  It's not the toy language of the early 00's, but rather an
advanced and fast front-end language that has finally grown into its
potential - and arguably the most popular language in the world.

Mark