[nycphp-talk] The user table

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Fri Mar 4 15:17:45 EST 2011

  On 3/4/2011 3:07 PM, D. J. Waletzky wrote:
> I'd say that unless you have more than 4000 users (depending on the
> limits of your db host) you can probably get away with keeping the
> number of tables small and the numbers of columns somewhat high. It's
> always best to run some sample queries to get a sense of how long they
> might take.
     In some systems I've built that operate (or may operate) in the
N>100,000 range,  I have a 'hot' table that contains a small number
fixed length fields that change often,  such as

* date/time of last login
* date/time of second last login
* total number of logins

     Updates to this table should be quick because this table can become
a bottleneck on a heavily used system.