[nycphp-talk] Can Javascript call a PHP program and read the results?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Mon May 30 02:42:58 EDT 2011

I'm using Tumblr.com for a blog platform for a new website. It has a
lot of benefits as a blog, but it also has the restriction of not
being able to embed PHP code in the HTML theme template. (Yes, I know,
my feelings exactly! :-) )

But Tumblr does support Javascript. What I'm trying to do is get the
county code of the user so that different links can be presented to
them that matches their country. Serving up different links based on
the country code would be handled by Javascript.

There is a Javascript Google library jsapi, but it doesn't work
properly for county code. For example,  I'm in the New York City metro
area and it says I'm in Canada, not the US. I don't recalling having
this kind of problem with PHP scripts, so I'd like to use a PHP
script. But I don't know of a way in JavaScript to be able to call a
PHP script and make the result accessible with the Javascript so it
can serve up the correct country links.

I admit I've not done much Javascript programming compared to PHP, so
I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something. Maybe this is a AJAX and
jQuery task? I'd appreciate it if someone could offer a workable
solution.

Thanks in advance!

David Roth