[nycphp-talk] Embedded PHP

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 10:08:07 EST 2011

Got a fun little gizmo from Texas Instruments, a Chronos Watch[thanks to
http://tideals.com/]...  and that has gotten me thinking about playing
with circuits again.

The problem is, I HATE the idea of learning a bunch of new coding for
what in the end is a hobby for fun.

Add to that the upcoming release of the Raspberry
Pi[http://www.raspberrypi.org/] and the
BeagleBone[http://beagleboard.org/bone] and it's possible to work at a
relatively high level[both will run linux] on a small system
board[around the size of a business card] with between 128MB and 512MB
of memory.

So, for hacking around, it would be nice to have a low impact PHP
environment with just the basics.  IE strip out most of the functions
and extensions to PHP, strip out the easter eggs, etc and get it as
small as possible.

Looking around, I find a few stabs at this, generally from the angle of
being subtractive - ie patch the code to remove the logo's, run
configure with disable-* for everything, etc.

Instead, I'm thinking of trying to do it from the other end - ie clone
the source and then remove every directory and file not needed to
compile, as well as removing more from the configuration script and
makefile - with the first goal of being to have a CLI PHP compiled which
just has a few functions[ideally, break it down to just some basic
variable manipulation and the echo function], then add functions back in
on a case by case basis as they are needed.

Just curious if anyone here knows of an approach that starts at the
minimal end and builds up, or even a subtractive approach that has
resulted in a very small, limited functionality PHP interpreter?

-Gary