[nycphp-talk] PHP UTF8 Conversion to ASCII

Jeremy Mikola jmikola at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:55:49 EST 2011

Modern browsers shouldn't really have trouble unicode characters in URL's.
I recall seeing a few single-character domain names a while back after
unicode became available for registration.
Punycode<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode>is typically employed
when displaying hostnames - I believe this is most
practically a security measure for avoiding fishing scams with domain names
that may look similar.

But to your point, it sounds like you need transliteration. The PHP iconv
extension supports this natively:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3542717/how-to-transliterate-accented-characters-into-plain-ascii-characters

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Peter Sawczynec <ps at blu-studio.com> wrote:

> [...]

jeremy mikola