[nycphp-talk] Current PHP developer rates

Tedd Sperling tedd.sperling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:28:03 EST 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Rob Marscher wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2011, at 2:43 PM, Ronald Bradford wrote:
>> Could people give me a sense of the per hour rate for an experienced developer these days in New York.
>
> About $80/hr is the rate I've seen (and paid) to well experienced developers.  We had a pretty lengthy conversation here about it a few months ago which made it seem like you might be able to find experienced developers charging as low as $40-50/hr.
>
> However, I usually like to work with flat rates -- given the project spec and scope, come up with a rate for the whole project.  Because really… the amount of work that can be done in an hour depends on who's doing it.  I.e. I could charge $40/hr but take 3 times as long as the person charging $80/hr.
>
> -Rob

I don't live in New York, but I have clients there.

I charge $100 per hour, but I usually do more work than I bill. Besides, I usually work on a pre-project basis.

A decade ago, I was approached by a potential client who asked me for my rate and I replied $50 per hour. To which he said "I never paid more than $25 per hour -- would you consider working for that?" I answered "Sure, but it's going to take me twice as long to get anything done."

He moved on and a year later; we repeated the conversation; and the outcome. He's probably still looking for someone willing to work for half-wages, but isn't smart enough to realize that you usually get what you pay for, but never more.

Your rate is relative -- charge as you feel you are worth.

Cheers,

tedd

tedd at sperling.com
http://sperling.com