[nycphp-talk] somewhat OT Re: validating proper name capitalization

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Mon Oct 3 13:53:19 EDT 2011

Back after a few days of divinely-enforced hiatus.

on 9/29/2011 6:50 PM David Krings said the following:
> As far as the success of a URL is concerned, it is difficult to
> determine how well it does compared to a different URL. In order to
> really make a reasonable call both URLs need to be advertised the same
> way to the same audience. And it depends a lot on the audience. In your
> case you are solely focused on the Mac users, but do you honestly think
> that •.com would be a good name for a comany that sells round push

How do you even ADVERTISE that? On the radio?  People like words, that's
why Chinese or Arabic characters make decent domain names, and we
punycode them to make them palatable to our ASCII-valued eyes.  But "dot
dot com"?  It's almost as bad as Tony Finch's email address -- of which
I am *insanely* jealous.

Returning to the my original obPHP (so that Hans doesn't get upset at
me):  how do punycoded URLs and their Unicoded (or other-encoded)
counterparts get dealt with in real life PHP?  Who is dealing with them,
and how well does PHP+your underlying OS manage it?  Do you need to do
environment-wrangling to make encoding issues go away?  Tedd's original
response "by wishing Microsoft never existed" is glib but unhelpful.
The homographic problem is also huge, no doubt, but computers by and
large aren't fooled by the difference between А and A. (BTW the former
is U0410 'Cyrillic Capital Letter A', the latter is U0041 'Latin Capital
Letter A'.  Depending on the font you use in your reader, you may or may
not see a difference between the two.)

> David

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman | jbaltz at altzman.com | www.jbaltz.com | twitter:@lorvax
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.