[nycphp-talk] somewhat OT Re: validating proper name capitalization

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at altzman.com
Tue Oct 4 13:42:42 EDT 2011

on 10/4/2011 1:13 PM John Campbell said the following:
>> I understand that, but I'm asking something like: if you type in •.com into
>> your browser, what's getting passed to the server behind the scenes?
> The non encoded string (xn--...).  It must be this way because the
> HTTP protocol requires the header to be completely US-ASCII.

I would read that as 'the encoded' (into punycode) string, and not 'the
original' (aka the single unicode character) string, but that's just a
quibble.  Thanks for taking the time to read the RFC for me :-)

> It is best to think of punycode as just a browser adress bar display hack.

??? um, you just said it's the punycoded string that gets passed
through, because the Header element needs to be US-ASCII.

> -jc

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman | jbaltz at altzman.com | www.jbaltz.com | twitter:@lorvax
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.