[nycphp-talk] Virtualbox as a dev environment

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:44:06 EDT 2011

On 9/2/2011 1:46 PM, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> BTW is this virtualization new to you guys? I was running VirtualBox
> back in 2006... -- Aj.

It's fairly new for me.  I've never had a system fast enough to really
run it, and never felt like I needed it.

Late last year when my laptop died, I decided I was doing most of my
work from one place anyway, and I was playing around a lot with EC2, so
I wanted a way to simulate a cloud at home without having to connect to
the outside world or pay their fees.  So I decided to get a desktop for
the same money as a laptop, but make sure to get lots of hard drive
space, memory, and 6 core CPU....

Original plan had been to put KVM on it and load windows into a Virtual
OS...   But the windows install disks that came with it won't install to
anything but this hardware, so I'm going the other way[VirtualBox on
Windows].

Still, I didn't want 6 different VM systems for each config, so being
able to boil it all down to one system with virtual hosting makes my
life sooo easy.   And being able to use the linux box as a DNS
server/cache speeds up regular internet usage tremendously.