[nycphp-talk] somewhat OT Re: validating proper name capitalization

Tedd Sperling tedd.sperling at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:44:47 EDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 3:44 PM, David Krings wrote:

> On 9/29/2011 2:06 PM, John Campbell wrote:
>>> Then again, who wants such a URL for a business anyway? Nobody can type that
>>> letter on their keyboard and the punycode equivalent isn't really easy to
>>> remember or meaningful. Yes, it makes the geek in me smile, but I hardly see
>>> any practical purpose for this.
>>
>> It is designed for people coming from other languages.  Like groupon
>> in china is gaopeng.com, but gaopeng is 高朋 when written as characters.
>>   高朋.com is http://xn--bpvz66i.com/ in puny code.
> -snip-
>
> Got it! Makes much more sense to me now. Thanks.
>
> David

David:

In addition to all that was said about other Languages/Customs having access to the Internet in their own native Languages, let me add there ARE symbols in the English Language. We commonly use math symbols, dingbat characters, grammar, and other such symbols in our English language, right?

In addition, these symbols are on your keyboard, or can be accessed by your keyboard. Just because the Windows environment makes it hard to type a BULLET for example, (ALT 0149), it is really a simple thing to do on a Macintosh -- it's just option 8 -- one character. The world no longer revolves around M$.

As such, in the Safari Browser I can type an option 8 in the address bar and go directly to: http://xn--nvg.com the URL will show •.com.

Another example, if a Macintosh user types option v into the Safari Browser address bar they will go to √.com (square-root dot com), namely http://xn--nvg.com. Incidentally, that site receives over 200 unique Mac users per day and that rate is rising.

So, your questions as to "who wants such an URL for business anyway?", let me reply if your customers could remember your site by simply typing a single character into their address bar, would that sound like a good thing to you? Especially if you were selling a Mac product?

Keep in mind that while single character domains are not available, it has been speculated that they would run into the millions of dollars for each if they were. So, what's the value of a single character domain? In that regard, this makes a good read:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/28/tech/main1080245.shtml

In addition, these domains can be combined with other domains so that IF the user was on a Windows machine, they would go to one site and if they were on a Safari browser they could go to the url that would show the domain as a symbol. It is simply a redirect and a marketing consideration.

In any event, considering I've been developing software for Apple computers for over three decades now, I'm considering using option v (square-root) OR option 8 (BULLET) as a site to sell my software.

I think it's a neat idea, but I've failed before.  :-)

Cheers,

tedd

PS: To fall three times is to rise four. -- John Leonning (circa 1973)
tedd at sperling.com
http://sperling.com