[nycphp-talk] PHP graphics programming for a template

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:26:13 EDT 2012

I've seen some articles about PHP graphics programming over the years,
but I don't have first-hand knowledge of using any of them. So I'd
like some advice on how to approach this task:

There are pre-cut cards from Blanks USA:
http://blanksusa.com/products/table-tents/digitalblanks-pre-cut-large-table-tent-5-5-x-3-125-x-5-375-table-tent-11-x-17-sheet-size-80-lb-digital-gloss-cover-100-table-tents.html

There is a graphic template JPG (300 DPI) designed by a graphic
designer. I want to be able to overlay(?) three graphics (they would
be different for each printed sheet) on this graphic template and
position them in an exact spot. Some centering would be required for
one of the graphics.

The finished graphic (graphic template plus the overlays) would need
to be positioned and aligned so when they print it matches the
requirements of the pre-cut cards.

I want to be able to take the output of this on a USB flash drive (or
DVD-ROM) to a professional printer that is using 11 x 17 color laser
printers. I want to make this as easy as possible for the printer, so
they just open the file for printing and go, without any sort of
adjustments or problems.

What PHP graphics libraries and techniques would be best for this?
Any tips for creating a high quality PDF file for the printer? Or
should this be provided in another file format?
Any tips for working with aligning with pre-cut cards? Thanks!

David Roth