[nycphp-talk] PHP on IIS on Win 2008 talking to a SQLServer?

Hans Zaunere bulk at zaunere.com
Fri Apr 13 17:20:29 EDT 2012

Hi Justin, all,

> Good set of instructions but a two comments.
>
> PHP 5.4.0 does not have an MSI installer and when I asked on PHP-WIN
> it was indicated that there were no plans to continue it. If you add
> phpmanager (http://phpmanager.codeplex.com) to IIS it will let you
> register PHP as a FastCGI module easily.

I hadn't installed 5.4 yet, though as fate would have it, needed to today.

Surprising that an MSI isn't available, but as you mention, it's still very
easy.  Here's what I did:

	For PHP 5.4.x: Download Zip for VC9 x86 Non Thread Safe
		http://windows.php.net/download/
		Uncompress into somewhere like c:\php-5.4

	Download/run installer for PHP Manager for IIS
		http://phpmanager.codeplex.com/
	IIS Manager -> PHP Manager
		Register new PHP version: Path to where PHP was installed
(c:\php-5.4)

And then carried on normally.  Still very easy, and honestly I'll probably
go with the .zip install method from now on since it's consistent across
versions.

> You should really make an unprivileged user to run the mongod service
> as.  I'm also not sure if --reinstall will work if the service is not
> already installed (while I didn't write the original ntservice support
> for mongo, I did improve its service support, so I'm going to have to
> test it later.)

The mongo install process on Windows is a bit messed up - I think the
--reinstall option will work, though I've had to fiddle with it before as
Mongo seems to do some silly things.  That said, I've never run mongo in
production on Windows (and probably never will) so a quick setup has
sufficed for me.

Best,