[nycphp-talk] Performance testing on Windows Server 2008 & MySQLi performance hit

Anthony Ferrara ircmaxell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:32:13 EDT 2012

Faltu,

2) Part of the reason for upgrading is that the application has taken a
> HUGE hit in performance after we updated mysql connections to mysqli and
> moved most of the php files above the web root folder.  I researched online
> for performance hits after moving to mysqli but no where found anyone
> discussing such a drastic setback.  With xdebug, I see the mysqli
> connections are the culprit and perform 2-4 times slower than before.  When
> testing with the PHP MySQL Benchmark Tool v. 0.1 (
> http://unbeknownst.net/?p=321) scripts, I don't see a big diff between
> mysql and mysqli queries.  Anyone else seen this issue??

I haven't. What version of PHP are you using? And which driver are you
compiled against (libmysql, mysqlnd, etc)? Are the mysql and mysqli
differences on the same compile of php on the same machine? Or are they on
different boxes?

Anthony