[nycphp-talk] Can't do PHP 'exec' for an rsync command via web server

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 08:51:15 EDT 2012

I'm developing a small utility web page to run on my own server which is
running CentOS 6.2 and Apache. PHP 5.3.3.

I tried using from PHP the exec function and also system, but after
checking the results nothing is returned. However, when I ran a little
fragment of this PHP code from the command line, it worked fine. But it
won't execute and return anything when run from a web page.

I have searched for an answer and have not been able to find a workable
solution to this. I looked and Safe Mode is off for PHP, as it is shipped
with CentOS. I've see forum postings about having Apache run as root, but
that's not secure. I was wondering if it was possible to put some specific
commands in sudoers like rsync for apache? That way maybe exec('sudo rsync
...'); would work without promoting for a password?

I'd greatly appreciate a solution from someone who has already been through
this. Thanks!

David Roth