[nycphp-talk] Web browser quality

Hans Zaunere bulk at zaunere.com
Fri May 11 15:36:05 EDT 2012

Hi all,

So, in a mix of rant-and-feedback-gathering - is it just me, or have
browsers largely gone downhill in the last few months?

Chrome:  freezes continually with 1mb view source.  Seems more worried about
trying to get me to login to the mothership and track my social networks,
than actually being a browser that can download text from a web server.
And, if I would so happen to want to reload a page (crazy, right?), it's so
hell-bent on caching everything that I have to restart it to see any new
content - control-r, forget about it.  Guess they want their browser to be
"fast" :)

Firefox:  what happened to my friend?!?  Great, now we get a new release
every few minutes, but it crashes, can't correctly repost a form (everything
is always expired), view source hangs or won't display the source of a POST,
and it won't even copy the HTML out of Firebug into a text editor...
control-c doesn't capture anything!  Not to mention it's using 800mb of my
RAM and renders pages about as quick as a 286.

IE9:  so, disable cache for all requests; that's handy.  Fast, but will
actually re-request the page from the server when told to do so.  Developer
tools aren't great, but it's not using 1gb of RAM either.  View source is,
eh, well...

These are all the latest version of these browsers.  Though right now the
best I've found is:

wget -O - test.site/something | less

So that I can actually see what the server is spitting back - and it works
like a charm :)

So am I missing something here, or... anyone else having these types of
problems (more so) of late?