[nycphp-talk] EC2 vs Rackspace Cloud WAS: What Distro?

Federico Ulfo rainelemental at gmail.com
Sat May 19 01:43:42 EDT 2012

Thanks so much for your feedback about the distro, that helped me a lot, so
in the end I setup a Debian instance on Rackspace. Following your
suggestions I chose the one I know better. I may change it in future if any
good reason, as better performance or free cookies :)

Talking about "AWS vs RackSpace", we are comparing apple from the farmer
with apple from the market, because AWS has it's own (server) farm, instead
Rackspace use Akamai, although soon they will have their own farm with
OpenStack
http://www.rackspace.com/information/mediacenter/announcements/openstack/.

In my opinion, the choice depends by needs and budget. For a startup in
bootstrap I could suggests Rackspace, because easy to setup and maintain
with a low price (on the paper). Amazon fit the best for company with high
traffic and budget, because AWS offers more tools and control, but needs a
dedicated system admin and is more expensive for low usage but become
"relatively" cheaper on high usage. Also they recently added Cloud Alert,
which control your bandwidth, CPU usage, but especially your bill, which
can save your wallet from a DDOS
http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/calc5.html

Personally I've used AWS, for some websites with a million visitors, and
some personal project, and I found it very good, but little
expensive. Today I started using Rackspace on a project of mine, so far I
like it, but I'll wait the first bill to confirm :)