[nycphp-talk] OT: Microsoft Outlook folders being written to in the background?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:55:45 EDT 2012

Thanks for the reply and the link, Nasir.

What makes this such a mystery, is that while the Windows 7 workstation is
being used daily, the Outlook 2012 application is not being launched or
used at all. But somehow something is writing to several of the PST legacy
files each day the PC is on. This might mean that independent of bringing
up the Outlook 2012 client itself, there may be some process(es) from
perhaps Office or when Outlook was installed that runs and does it's house
cleaning/indexing routine. This is causing GBs of data to be backup each
day that should be sitting their untouched. I'd like to be able to stop
this process from running if Outlook isn't being used. Or I could remove
the Outlook 2012 application, but that seems like an odd thing to have to
do, because if access was needed to the legacy PST files, it would have to
be re-installed and then removed when finished.

I don't know enough about Windows 7 to know if I can do a Linux-type 'ps'
command and check logs that would have any meaning for me.

David Roth