[nycphp-talk] drupal?

Charlie Derr cderr at simons-rock.edu
Thu Jul 18 11:08:13 EDT 2013

On 07/18/2013 10:40 AM, Steve Manes wrote:
> On 7/18/13 10:21 AM, Charlie Derr wrote:
>> Anyone have anything pro or con to say about drupal?
>>
>> We're considering migrating our college website (currently plone) to drupal (another option is OU Campus from
>> Omni-Update, but I don't expect that product is particularly relevant (though I'm happy to hear any feedback on it if
>> anyone has any knowledge)).
>
> I've got pro and con opinions about Drupal but the cons are mostly
> related to people using a CMS where a non-CMS choice probably would have
> worked better.  I run, develop for or maintain about a dozen Drupal
> sites and overall I've been happy with it.  But it's got a steep and
> very rocky learning curve.
>
> I don't know how many Drupal developers hang out here but there are
> active developer communities on drupal.org:
>
> https://groups.drupal.org/groups
>
> NYC group: https://groups.drupal.org/nyc

Thanks so very much for the very helpful response; I'll definitely check into the resources you've pointed me towards.

One follow-up (about the steep and rocky learning curve) question:  Does this entry barrier apply also to end users?  As
far as I'm concerned, steep and rocky learning curves are par for the course among those of us who do development work,
but if (after our initial work has mostly been completed) the tasks of creating/editing content, and publishing/approval
workflows still require some minimal "expert" level of knowledge, that's likely to be a show-stopper here.

     thanks again,
            ~c