[mambo] Big changes in Mamboland

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:13:16 EDT 2005

On 8/18/05, Ryan W. Ozimek <cozimek at picnet.net> wrote:
> Mitch,
>
> Man, I just got back from SF as well, and bummed to see this.  I know you
> can't discuss this in detail, but what do you "feel" about this?  If the
> core dev team is staying with Mambo, does this really affect the code base
> itself?
>
> I'm interested to see what happens...

Well, the decision took some time, as we wanted to get every single
person involved in Mambo to be on board with the decision; and then we
needed legal counsel to be certain of our rights.

In short, every single person that worked on the core, documentation,
translation and forum moderation is on the same team at
OpenSourceMatters. We jokingly call it a spoon, instead of a fork, as
this is not a couple disgruntled workers but the whole freaking
factory!

The original Mambo is now deserted, save for a dictator, his cronies,
and a former developer that abandoned the community (and developers)
almost a year ago. To top that off, we are now noticing many posts
getting deleted from the mamboserver forums, so you will be looking at
a single-voiced opinion over there instead of a community, and real
quick.

The CMS Formerly Known As Mambo (insert squiggly logo here) is going
to be just fine, the support has been outstanding and we are having a
bit of a lovefest between the developers and the community at the
moment.

This IMHO is the biggest, most important part of all this, as the 3PDs
and user community really set us apart from the rest.

We have the Software Freedom Law Center on our side, with some really
impressive people providing backing. So the new organization that gets
setup will not be done like the current farce (Mambo Foundation); and
will have true accountability and transparency - and most important,
DEMOCRACY.

--
Mitch Pirtle
OpenSourceMatters.org