AW: [mambo] wait for mambo 5?!

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:57:55 EDT 2005

On 6/2/05, inforequest <hc1vdt402 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.. I thought I heard from someone over a beer a few months ago that the 5 db backend would be "all new" and if that is true, should be expect an "all new" db interface update for 4.x before the end of the year?

That was the plan, but everybody ran out of patience ;-)

With the implementation of ADOdb done for the impending 4.5.3 release,
we are now free to crank on the new phpGACL implementation (custom
user/group assignments, anyone?). ADOdb was the real bottleneck, as
phpGACL was dependent upon it getting implemented.

IMHO this is the big step, as we are now free to do a lot more now
that we are not tied to a static database implementation (see
XMLSchema for example). 4.5.3 means we can support PostgreSQL, Oracle,
DB2, Sybase, Firebird and MS SQL with confidence, and also paves the
way for the new ACL stuff to be implemented.

BTW if you look under the hood, we have already snuck in as much ACL
stuff as we can, and now with ADOdb being done we are free to finish
that off. This will most likely result in a 4.6 release.

The ACL and content storage for 5 will be completely different, and
there will most definitely be a data transformation step required to
get sites from 4.x into 5. At the moment we are discussing the
possibility that Mambo 5.0 will require PHP 5 as well, and use the
goodies introduced in more recent versions of PHP.

Which brings up a point, imagine January 1st 2006 - would you want to
deploy an application that required PHP 5 at that point in time? I
need your feedback on this, as I view it more as a community decision
than an academic one!

--
Mitch Pirtle
Mambo Core Developer