[joomla] Joomla homepage

Bill Kamm wkamm at rvyriptide.org
Tue Mar 7 20:31:38 EST 2006

I'm new to Joomla and have what I think is a basic question, but I can't
find a good answer anywhere.  I have an existing web site, at
mydomain.com.  My homepage is mydomain.com/index.php.  Now I want to
install Joomla, and take my time learning it while my existing web site
stays in place.  So I install Joomla into a subdirectory, and I can
access it at mydomain.com/joomla/index.php, without anybody else knowing
about it.  That's fine until my Joomla site is ready to go live.  I
don't want users to have to go to mydomain.com/joomla, so how can I get
my Joomla site to show up when visitors go to mydomain.com?  Do I use
.htaccess?  (I don't want the 'joomla' address appearing in the
browser's address field if I can help it.)  Do I copy everything from
the Joomla directory up to my document root?  Any other suggestions?
Thanks,

Bill