[joomla] Joomla meetings, your feedback needed

bz-gmort at beezifies.com bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Mon Aug 13 02:20:13 EDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I fell in love with Joomla about 10 months ago. I'd love to meet on
> the 23rd. I'm a non-PHP type. I went to a few NY-PHP meetings just to
> meet Joomla people, but I didn't meet any. Where are we meeting? The
> Delancy at 6:30?

Yes, we will be combining the summer party with a meeting to get to meet
other Joomla users and determine which week of the month we want to meet on.

Right now it looks like any week but the fourth.  My own leaning would
be the second or third week of the month, only so that there will be at
least a 3 week gap between the 23rd and the first official stand alone
meeting.  In fact, I will try to send Hans a message later tonight to
find out if any of those weeks would be a problem for starting in
September(I'd like to start ASAP to keep the ball rolling)

I'd like to have some sort of presentation for the first independent
meeting, so I'm soliciting feedback now for the types of presentations
people are interested in.

I've primarily listed choices for items that I can speak to directly
since I figure the chances of our getting anyone more experienced at
speaking and willing to do so for the first month or two to be slim.

 From my own focus, the main idea would be to discuss how/what I did
related to the topic with an existing website.  As what I've done there
has covered the gamut of setting up a theme club template, modifying the
template to accomodate specific needs(generally adding at least 2, if
not more, module positions to the layout, as well as removing some
"features" I am not enamored with myself, and making some changes to the
layout of some of the module positions), installing and configuring a
number of modules and components, debranding said modules(and setting up
a credits page), integrating components together(primarily making a
component aware/use the secrurity settings of a subscription module as
well as making custom components and integrating them with the original
components), and creating a component.

I've found that with Joomla, while all of the above might sound like a
lot of work, it tends to be a lot less as you only have to deal with
small, manageable bites at a time - as well as being able to borrow at
least 75% of my code from existing modules(this does have copyrwrite
implications)

I'm not sure how other people feel about theme clubs, my own feeling is
that while I COULD do the same thing, provided I wanted to spend the
time doing it(over a week to do for a decent layout).  At the end, I'd
have a decent Generic template tuned for a specific need.  With an
established template club, I get at least half a dozen templates for
different purposes, for minimal cost(there is the issue of picking a
template club, though.  As there is a great amount of reuse from
template to template.  I've seen sites with over 50 templates, that when
I really look at them turn out to be variations on 2 or 3 templates with
different graphics and color schemes.  I don't want 50 templates, but I
do want at least 5 unique templates that are generic enough to be used
on many different sites).    I still end up modifying and changing it
quite a bit, but time wise it turns a large project into a manageable
one.  (and to be honest, their ui design skills are better than my own,
so why not leverage it?)

I've only dealt with 1 theme club, so how that compares to others I
don't know.  I do find the community of the theme club has been very
helpful when it comes to layout and presentation.  Moreso than the
general Joomla community . I can understand the difference, as a
programmer, I find layout and presentation to be mindnumbingly boring
and I have little interest in making minor positioning changes.  What's
worse, is when someone comes along who is clearly getting paid to do all
this and than demands free help on a forum.   With the theme club,
everyone there is doing it commercially so they lack the general
attitudes you find on GPL focused forums.  And the employees of the club
itself are amazingly helpful in handling things outside the scope of the
template itself.

If I want coding help regarding a component, I ask on a component
forum/  If I want layout help, I ask on a theme club forum.  If I want
general coding help, I ask on the Joomla forums and don't get any replies.

(and keep in mind, when I say help, I don't mean "write my code for
me".  I mean: I would like integrate this component/extend some
functionality.  What is the API or function call for the base function I
should be using/modifying.)