[joomla] Speaking of SEF

Gary Mort bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Fri Aug 17 06:00:17 EDT 2007

In 1.0.12 I'm rather unhappy with how SEF has been implemented.

It is good as far as it goes, but than it hits a brick wall.

Take AdsManager for example and ArtioSEF for example.

ArtioSEF has some default rules for a bunch of files.  It also allows
you to install extention specific SEF files.

Those SEF files will translate urls according to internal, hardcoded rules.
So, for example, AdsManager translates a directive to show an ad into
the ugly:

Now, as a generic SEF program, this makes sense.  Lowest common
demoniator and all.

What annoys me is I don't see a mechanism within ArtioSEF to allow a
plug in to have configurable options(am I missing it?)

For example, in my case, I wasn't using the headline field, I did not
want to stick numbers onto each url, and I most definitely did NOT want
such a long url.

I built up a little switch statement to reduce the url to:
/<catname>/s/<something>.html

Where <something> is dependent on the category id.

This means that for one class of users, instead of sending their URL
with a long meaningless string to others, they can send
http://www.mydomain.com/fighterprofile/s/nickname.html

(I'm considering shortening it even further to just use initials for the
category name).

My main point though is that most of this should have the possibility of
being configured in the admin pane itself.

Am I missing something in ArtioSEF and does it give such a capability to
developers?  I don't object if no one uses it, as it is extra work for
little gain, but having it there would make me feel better.

(Ok Mitch, feel free to tell me how in 1.5 all these sort of functions
are built right into Joomla...  though I seem to recall reading some
threads a few months back and they still seemed stuck on using user
meaningless but unique data.  The idea of having just a simple field
where someone can enter what they think the shortname for the item
should be seemed to be foreign to them.   Actually, my impression is
that with Joomla most of the developers seem fixated on making processes
which are automated without user intervention.  Good as a general
design, but why make it as the only option?)