[joomla] Joomla 1.5 requires an FTP server ?!

forest compustretch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 01:38:34 EST 2007

Well I thought I would finally take the plunge and finally move up to Joomla
1.5. (Mainly be a component I was using is totally bugged out under earlier
versions.)

You can imagine my surprise when during the install it asked me for an ftp
server. ftp server? Isn't that so 10 years ago? Or did I miss the big ftp
comeback!

Anyway just wondering if Joomla really requires you to have an ftp server
running now, or if this is just something you need for the installation and
can turn off later? The installer gives you the impression that ftp is now
used for all modules, but that CANT be right can it.

Anyone know what gives with this change, it seems like its right out of left
field to me.

C.S.

ps- it was unclear from perusing the page whether there will be an afternoon
Joomla get-together next Tuesday (20th) here in NYC or not, but if so, I'll
plan on attending. cheers.