[joomla] Rackspace

bz-gmort at beezifies.com bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Tue Oct 9 12:45:43 EDT 2007

Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, bz-gmort at beezifies.com wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone had suggestions/comments of what the cost of
>> rackspace in NYC is?
>>
>> This is for a non-critical system, so network reliable must be
>> relatively ok, but doesn't have to be fantastic drop dead performance
>> and such.
>
> Do you want to colo your own box or rent one?

Own a box, able to have multiple ip addresses.

> For colo in the city, check out PiloSoft downtown (I have a 2U box down
> there). I think I pay $75/m.

Back when I was in Baltimore, it was too much trouble to try to colo a
server(only place was difficult to get to).  But it struck me in NYC,
there must be tons of places with excess bandwidth/rackspace one could
se4tup a simple server with.

> Lately, Ive been looking at virtual server solutions (managing your own
> hardware is not stress free). Im currently testing out a basic UML-based
> virtual server from linode.com (cheapest is $20/m).

I had a linnode for a while, it's pretty nice but their hard drive space
sucks.  Heck, just about all hard drive capacity is awful when you
compare it to setting up your own system(mind you, there is a GOOD
reason for it since they tend to go with high quality hard drives and
such.  Wheras, if all I need is cheap and I'm willing to take the
possible downtime, roll your own hardware has it's advantages)