[joomla] Rackspace

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Tue Oct 9 13:53:36 EDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, bz-gmort at beezifies.com wrote:

> I had a linnode for a while, it's pretty nice but their hard drive space
> sucks.

True, but unless your web app involves file uploads you dont need much
space. Even for a virt domain mail server (which is what Im building), 8Gb
is more then enough since Im not storing email long term on the server
itself anyway.

Also the ability to manage "hardware" upgrades from a web-based control
panel is pretty neat. Im thinking the $80/m biggest linode package
compares quite favorably to what Im running right now down at PiloSoft
except Im spared the stress over buying hardware, building it and running
it. I might eventually upgrade to the bigger packages if all goes well
with my trial.

> Heck, just about all hard drive capacity is awful when you
> compare it to setting up your own system(mind you, there is a GOOD
> reason for it since they tend to go with high quality hard drives and
> such.  Wheras, if all I need is cheap and I'm willing to take the
> possible downtime, roll your own hardware has it's advantages)

Ive ran my own servers for years and even though I spent a lot of money on
really good, server-grade quality hardware Ive gotten tired of maintenance
and worry.

--
Aj.