[joomla] Sphinx search

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Sat Sep 22 18:47:15 EDT 2007

bz-gmort at beezifies.com wrote:
> Anthony Ferrara wrote:
>> when you say headache of running a linux server, what
>> are you referring to?
>
> Making sure it is secure, periodically checking logs or whatever your
> preferred method to track security incursions, installing and
> configuring a web server, installing PHP & Perl along with a basic web
> server configuration.
>
> It's not so much time consuming, once your doing it, as time consuming
> to get your head(or at least my head) into the mode of remembering all
> this stuff, building a baseline system, yadda yadda yadda.
>
> Or to put it another way, I'm feeling lazy.  Given a choice for my
> personal projects between coding and admin, I'll do coding these
> days(I've had a third cell line not in use much(kids line) and
> unlimited messeging for the past few months I'm just itching to hook
> up and fiddle with Kannel and Mbuni(SMS and MMS messaging from your
> computer using a cell phone)

Interesting.. I was not aware that Kannel supports US mobile handsets.
One of the projects I'm exploring is a solar powered weather station
which sends the raw weather data to an internet connected server. We
have a site at the top of the mountain for the weather sensors and the
server is over a mile away at the bottom. I was considering long range
wifi or a ham radio, but if we used a mobile phone, we could do away
with the server at the base of the mountain (which has flaky DSL
connectivity).

If you simply want to send SMS and MMS, most carriers in the US allow
you to send data to phones via their own email->gateways  ( @vtext.com,
@tmomail.net)

About 5 years ago, I wrote a php function which would accept a phone
number and submit to all the major carrier gateways (since we don't know
which carrier to use based only on the number).

~Rolan