[joomla] Re: Joomla questions

Andrew Markushin scullion at web.de
Mon Apr 28 02:20:31 EDT 2008

>> The information on my sites is different, only the structure is
>> very similar, so if I decide in favor of 3 different installations,
>>  I would also use 3 separate databases to be more flexible.
> But the original question was: "Now the question is: how do I set
> three default pages, so that Joomla can select the correct one
> depending on the requested URL?"

Yeah, and see where I am now? ;-) Considering whether the option I was
running from is a better solution!

> In any case it sounds like you are just looking to clone some of your
>  structure and templating.

Same template, single database, same backend, same extension config.
Data is assigned to "sites" by means of sections/categories. It's not
cloning (which would mean "having several instances"), it's keeping
things as compact as possible.

> Having done single Joomla! installs accessed via multiple front-ends
>  / domains, I can only say it's quite fun once you've wrapped your
> brain around it, and I highly recommend that approach either as a
> solution, or even just for the experience of setting it up. You do
> have to *trick* it a little to install, but after that it runs
> flawlessly.

There we go -- *how* did you do that? Was your problem similar to mine?
What was the trick? (Of course I understand there must be some trick,
but my brain just refuses to produce a reasonable guess, that's why I
asked that very first question.)

NB: I don't want to hack the Joomla's core, despite the fact that this
would be a dirty but quick solution. I'm still looking for a "legal"
way. :-)

> I'd also suggest reading up on MVC (Model-View-Controller) which
> Joomla mainly conforms to.

This design pattern is not new to me, but I'm afraid I can't see the
connection...

--
Andrew