[joomla] Two Joomla sites on one hosting package?

ozzie sutcliffe oz.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 10:01:32 EST 2008

Whoa hold up there Sparky..

One issue will be security . if your ISP only runs PHP as an Apache
module and NOT CGI, you can expose both sites to huge security issues.
Something tells me that 777 means sign of the devil to you and in this
case it will be.

Some extensions can browse directories and if not running CGI all
directories will be exposed.
Also it would not take much for some php scripts to mangle a a bunch
of stuff. Just because Joomla can live in its own country and be self
contained , however it still is ruled by a world called Apache PHP sh
perl etc..
In the interest of truth justice and the comics , if you want to
succeed you need to invest a little in your environment, spend $20 a
month and get yourself a virtual server. A good provider will set it
up correctly for you to use CGI and then should any client grow and
need HTTPS, you can meet their needs. Also you could run as many sites
as you wanted ( subject to hard drive space CPU and RAM resources ) as
www.whatever.com, www.mysite.com  etc all totally independent of each
other..

Your customers are clueless for the most part , they rely on your to
provide good council. Doing it wrong to save a few pennies and expose
the customers is bad for them and you. And Joomla per se..

Last but not least many ISP's are moving to  PHP as a module because
it saves resources. Of course many of the first level people you will
talk to don't know either so you will just get the propaganda.
The more I think about this the more I can write . but I have work to do..

Oz