[joomla] OT: mac dvd ripping

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Wed Mar 5 14:46:14 EST 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Graham Spice wrote:

> I'd like to rip content from a DVD onto my intel macbook for editing and
> eventual display on Google Video. I am creating the DVDs with a
> stand-alone JVC DVD burner.
>
> I've tried Handbrake and had trouble with the audio dropping out on
> multiple machines. Ultimately, I'm hoping to rip particular segments of
> the video rather than the whole thing. As long as the program rips to a
> format that will load in Final Cut or the iLife
> editor I can crop it.

I generally use Handbrake - but I close all programs and dont use the
machine while its ripping since its a pretty CPU-intensive process. Maybe
this is the problem you're having?

Handbrake allows you to pick the chapters so there should be no need to
rip an entire DVD just to pick out a segment. Once ripped, I use iMovie to
select and extract a segment using markers.

--
Aj.