[joomla] basics demos

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Fri Dec 11 10:36:35 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 09:36 -0500, joomla-request at lists.nyphp.org wrote:
> From: Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com>

> One thing I learned at the Dreamweavers meeting, I had a whole presentation
> prepared on Joomla and I didn't get past editing content and menu's.  That
> is an EXTREMELY powerful feature that I think many of us take for granted.
> But new users don't really understand/realize the power.
>
> It is also /boring/ for those of us who are already familiar with Joomla.
> So it can be boiled down into a 15 mintue presentation to be done at the
> beginning of the meeting only when we know there are people new to Joomla
> coming[ie we have that one question on the RSVP asking if their new to
> Joomla and encouraging them to RSVP so we can arrange it]

There are some confusing things about Joomla that can be better relayed
in a demo, such as:

Sections and categories
uncategorized content
putting an article into a menu
The difference between list and blog layout
Finding the placements in a template
How to use the editor properly for text formatting
How to properly add a photo to an article
Uploading media
The images directory and that unfortunately named stories folder
The keywords parameter and how it's used for joomla search
Editing the html and css in the templates manager
Getting SEF working

(Some things on this list might also be good material for the
installfest.)

> Those who volunteer to do it can have a rotation.  For them, it's a big
> benefit because it means the presentor gets to talk directly at the meeting
> to what are basically prospective clients.

I don't know about that. I think we get more of a diy crowd at NYCJUG. I
think there are more prospects at the LIJUG, since Bruce has packed that
out with his clients. Nice work there! I've never before seen such
client interest!

>   The presentor gets to send them
> an email a few days before the meeting reminding them that there is a
> presentation geared specifically to them, and at the same time gets to
> basically promote their own services with a brief bio of themselves.

I think this might be better done by NYCJUG itself. The presenter could
provide info for the mailing, but having an email from some unknown
might end up disregarded.

Can we set up, easily, a mailing system?

> The downside of doing these presentations is that it somewhat dillutes the
> presentors reputation as more advanced users kind of associate them with
> "beginning Joomla"... so it is a trade off professionally, but it does help
> the group expand appeal and attract new people.

I don't see that at all. Do you view presenters of basic subjects as
less capable? That will chase away volunteers!

> Now, this one idea does require a bit more in setup than the others - since
> it requires some coding to setup the email communication functions and the
> page to check on how many newbies are coming[which is also useful to others,
> if you go and see that there are 5 new members coming, you know you can get
> there 10-15 mintues later because there is a presentation you have no
> interest in at the start of the meeting. :-)]

Or get there regular time and socialize. ;)

Mark