[joomla] JTable method

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Tue Jul 28 12:14:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 12:00 -0400, joomla-request at lists.nyphp.org wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:33:48 -0400
> From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch.pirtle at gmail.com>
> To: "NYPHP SIG: Joomla" <joomla at lists.nyphp.org>
> Subject: Re: [joomla] JTable method
>
> I have a love/hate relationship with JTable.

Based on the documentation, what's to love?

> It was created primarily
> as a way for simple, canned access to database objects, like a
> simplistic ORM of sorts.

I'm not finding it all that simple.

>  However it has some glaring shortcomings due
> to the "no sharp corners allowed" approach.
>
> I find myself jumping to good ol' JFactory::getDBO() more often than
> not, as I'm happy doing it myself.

Yeah, I think I'm more comfortable doing it that way myself too. Found a
helpful tutorial on making custom modules at joomladin.com. I wish this
book had that kind of straightforward approach. I think I need a better
book.

> JTable is also very handy for whipping together admin screens,
> assuming you have a very flat schema ;-)

That's what they are doing at this point in the text. Eventually, the
two components that I have to (read: hope to) build will have rather
complex schemas. One of those planned has about a dozen tables just to
be normalized. >8-0

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

--