[joomla] several 1.0 sites hacked this week!

Atir Javid atirjavid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 19:29:00 EDT 2009

Hello Barrie,

May I inquire as to how you verified the attack?  I know that FTP
bruteforcing is extremely difficult, and that is very improbable.
What you may have faced was a dictionary attack, which may have worked
with some luck if you had a weak password.  A password including a mix
of

1) UPPERCASE
2) lowercase
3) punctuation/!#$.,
4) numbers

and have a good strong/long password you would never fall victim to dictionary.

As for bruteforce, an ftpd simply denies access after 3 or 5
(configurable, usually defaults to 3) failed login attempts for some
time.  Some hosts go as far as restricting ftp access until you call
them and verify the problem.  Also, brute forcing over a TCP pipe a
slow protocol such as FTP is virtually impossible.  At this rate it
would take YEARS to bruteforce the password if not DECADES.

@ Other users
Also make sure to go into joomla user configuration and change the
username of 'admin' to something else.
To protect your joomla administation section  If you have a static ip,
you can add

order allow,deny
deny from all
allow from your.static.ip.here

to a file called .htaccess in your administration folder.  If for some
reason your ip changes and you get locked out, simply login via FTP
and update the .htaccess file.  There are some other advanced methods
for protecting your administration folder.

Also, FTP was a protocol developed 30+ years ago.  It is not secure,
clear text authentication, etc.  FTP must go.  If you can help it, do
not use ftp, instead SFTP, or SSH.  Just.. anything but FTP.  Sadly,
thats all that is easy to use, highly available across all hosts, and
not everyone on shared hosting provides SSH access.  If you can do
without it, do without it. http://wooledge.org/mywiki/FtpMustDie

I have seen more sites hacked due to unpatched php or bad php
code(mostly from 3rd party addons) more than I have with FTP though.

Still with good security practices you can reduce the risk considerably.

Peace.