[joomla] Joomla day: Don't use the water bottle

Web Project web at kluger.com
Tue Oct 13 13:47:43 EDT 2009

Congratulations to everyone who helped make Joomla day happen.

One quick comment about the clear plastic water bottle that was part of the swag:

Do NOT drink water from it! Throw it out!

My wife is a science journalist (writes for Wired, Wall St Journal, National Geographic, etc). She took one look at it and told me to throw it away. Since the bottom of the bottle is stamped with the "7" recycle number, that means that it is made from Bisphenol A.

Factsheets issued by  The Centers for Disease Control -- http://www.cdc.gov/ExposureReport/pdf/factsheet_bisphenol.pdf
and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National
Toxicology Program on Bisphenol A:
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/docs/bpa-factsheet.pdf

Notes:
1. The NTP has “some concern“for effects on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures to BPA.

2. The same government agency advises people to:  Avoid plastic containers with the #7 on the bottom.

3. The CDC says that "When
laboratory test animals are dosed during pregnancy, BPA has been shown
to have hormone-like effects on the developing reproductive system and
neurobehavioral changes in the offspring."

As my wife points out, the government is usually accused of underplaying risks.

The problem is that the Bisphenol A can add Estrogin to whatever is stored in the bottle. Adding Estrogin to your diet is usually not a good idea for guys. And it can cause problems for women too.

So be safe: throw away drinking bottles that have the "7" in the recycle symbol.

The effect is small, so no worries if you've already drunken from the bottle. But throw it away now.

Regards,

Larry
ps. Since not everyone at the Joomla Day is on this dist list, I suggest that this information be sent to everyone who registered for the conference.