[joomla] Joomla day: Don't use the water bottle

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:29:13 EDT 2009

First of all thanks for posting this at all. I was wondering about it
myself, and you've cleared up the uncertaintly.

Secondly, thanks for such a toughtfu, detailed, footnoted post about this.
The only thing I would disagree with is your advice to throw it out-- you
don't have to throw it out.

Since it's Bisphenol A, it can be recycled.    ;-)

cheers,

Forest Mars

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Web Project <web at kluger.com> wrote:

> Congratulations to everyone who helped make Joomla day happen.
>
> One quick comment about the clear plastic water bottle that was part of the
> swag:
>
> Do NOT drink water from it! Throw it out!
>
> My wife is a science journalist (writes for Wired, Wall St Journal,
> National Geographic, etc). She took one look at it and told me to throw it
> away. Since the bottom of the bottle is stamped with the "7" recycle number,
> that means that it is made from Bisphenol A.
>
> Factsheets issued by  The Centers for Disease Control --
> http://www.cdc.gov/ExposureReport/pdf/factsheet_bisphenol.pdf
> and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National
> Toxicology Program on Bisphenol A:
> http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/docs/bpa-factsheet.pdf
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. The NTP has *“some concern“* for effects on the brain, behavior, and
> prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and children at current human exposures
> to BPA.
>

> 2. The same government agency advises people to:  Avoid plastic containers
> with the #7 on the bottom.
>

> 3. The CDC says that "When laboratory test animals are dosed during
> pregnancy, BPA has been shown to have hormone-like effects on the developing
> reproductive system and neurobehavioral changes in the offspring."
>

> As my wife points out, the government is usually accused of underplaying
> risks.
>

> The problem is that the Bisphenol A can add Estrogin to whatever is stored
> in the bottle. Adding Estrogin to your diet is usually not a good idea for
> guys. And it can cause problems for women too.
>

> So be safe: throw away drinking bottles that have the "7" in the recycle
> symbol.
>

> The effect is small, so no worries if you've already drunken from the
> bottle. But throw it away now.
>

> Regards,
>

> Larry
>
> ps. Since not everyone at the Joomla Day is on this dist list, I suggest
> that this information be sent to everyone who registered for the conference.

"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."
This email is:
[   ]  private: do not forward
[ x ]  o.k. to forward
[ x ]  o.k. to blog
[   ] ask first
The New TLDs are Here!
Switch to Name.Space: http://namespace.org/switch
Support new domains & keep free media free! Register yours today!
https://secure.name-space.com/registry