[joomla] Any thoughts on why Joomla missed out?

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:19:20 EDT 2009

I just got a chance to read this thread and I really appreciate this
measured discussion of the Drupal and Joomla development models with respect
to their workability for Whitehouse website(s).

At the risk of this being a drive-by troll, however (since there really were
a number of excellent points made) at some point one really has to
acknowledge that the Drupal development model is just a better fit for the
way people would like to see the government operate, namely that is a highly
co-operative structure with clearly delineated areas of responsibility in a
way that Joomla may not disagree with,but has not really effectively
implemented. There are quite a number of lower level synergies as well (not
to mention the gross disparity in enterprise penetration between the two
systems) and without reducing the decision process to a J vs. D polemic,
there really are a greater set of affinities on the one side, much more so
than the other.

Of course one also has to recognize the myriad connections in Drupal's
development history with political organisations, (e.g. Dean's campaign,
which was really the precursor to Obama's "Internet victory.") Drupal in
general just has a much greater involvement in that space. Also (and I
realise I run the risk of being snarky here) it wouldn't surprise me if a
look at the numbers revealed Joomla was being used in more instances for
Republican candidate/official's websites; this is based on actually seeing
Joomla used more on that side of the political spectrum. (With the notable
exception being a certain unnamed Fox news site.) Not trying to incite a
polemical debate here, I'm just sayin…

But perhaps the more interesting consideration is framework
interoperability, specfically the services (and objects) that each can
expose or make use of, and of course a shared semantic framework. So we are
not talking about 'which' CMF but how they can be used together. The Drupal
roadmap definitely includes GGG; I do not know where Joomla is with this,
perhaps someone who does can speak to it.

Forest Mars
--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."
The New TLDs are Here!
Switch to Name.Space: http://namespace.org/switch
Support new domains & keep free media free! Register yours today!
https://secure.name-space.com/registry