[joomla] K2: use it or lose it?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 09:46:00 EDT 2010

1.6 will not have many of the features of K2.  1.6 will have ACL's....

K2 has a user profile system, basic ACL, and a CCK.

That said, I have found it to be somewhat inflexible and javascript heavy
and while it is a great system, just like sobi and all the other CCK's I
find myself having to make too many hacks to be usable.

Also I really don't like an all in one integrated system....I prefer my user
profile system seperate from my other systems.

At this point, or at least right before the move and the fire, I was looking
into Phing to make a generic component creator[there are a couple online
ones but their not advanced enough for me...I want one that creates a basic
CRUD system for a basic 2-3 table layout]....

That way when I need to "clone" the component, I can just use the template
and create another one.

Use very basic database fields[text and integers is enough for most
applications, and custom coding can handle the complex cases].

Of course that project was shelved....along with my entire redmine project
system that I had setup on my laptop and had not had "time" to push to my
server yet.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Helvécio da Silva <helvecio.rj at gmail.com>wrote:

> Recently I discovered K2 through all the buzz there's to it.
>
> I found it very complex as there's very little documentation on it and
> waaaaay too many parameters to configure.
>
> I'm working my way through it, though. So far, it's got lots of interesting
> features for bigger projects, but seems a little too much for what I've been
> doing lately (mostly small companies, with few products and little text).
> Anyway, I've been studying it.
>
> I've heard K2 is THE must-have extension, but wonder if it's really worth
> to use it on 1.5, when I've heard 1.6 will have most of K2's features.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanx!
>
> --
> Helvecio "Elvis" da Silva
> Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - helvecio.rj at gmail.com
> http://www.helvecio.com - http://blog.helvecio.com

----
Hudson Valley Sudbury School
What GPL is for application users
Our school is for students
Help your children grow, change, and learn
Let your child direct, control, amend
Check out http://www.sudburyschool.org