[joomla] Adding extensions and security

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:48:10 EDT 2010

On 8/6/2010 1:29 AM, William Bly wrote:

 > I think this is the first site here using a CMS.
 >Only recently there have been evaluations here using PHP based
 > Open source platforms and the results were in favor of WordPress and
Drupal.

I know when we first started the Joomla NYC group, which meets every
month at Lincoln Center currently, one of the members there worked at
the U.N. and had deployed Joomla internally.

That said, I will say that the most important factor to me in choosing
between Joomla and Drupal would be to evaluate what is already being
used internally and to go with the CMS being used internally.

 From an end user point of view, Drupal is laid out in an easier to pick
up on and use manner than Joomla[end user being your content editors and
publishers].  From a configuration point of view, you will likely be
able to get Joomla up to speed and running much more quickly than Drupal.

> I hope I am not breaking any protocols with my question as I lurk more
> than post.
>
> A week ago I was handed a project at work (United Nations Division for
> Sustainable Development) so I put together a Joomla site based on
> their concept. The site has been well received with new request and my
> own concerns.
>
>     * Adding extensions, community, ACL, forms, surveys, blogs

I recently posted my own comparison on these items.  You can find the
same modules or components for both
CMS's....  Joomla will be much easier and faster to setup and configure,
with less need for custom programming.  Drupal will take longer but for
some of the more extreme intricacies will actually be faster to custom code.

>     * Access to documents and multiple languages

Joomla seems to have the edge here....being built with multiple
languages in mind.  Though that may just be because I have yet to look
extremely deepling into Drupal's language capabilities.

>     * Security
>     * Linking to static sites and converting a large static site to a CMS

Both Drupal and Joomla have import programs.  Also interestingly, if
your running on Apache the default htaccess files, designed primarily
for SEF links, have an added interesting component.  Both of them are
designed to check for the existance of a file FIRST and use that, then
if not found, redirect the connection to the CMS.

So, for example, say your structure is:

www/index.php <-- CMS entry point
www/articles/aboutus.html
www/articles/contactnumbers.html

Now, if someone is to try to go to:
http://www.mydomain.com/articles/aboutus.html they will be given the
aboutus.html file
if they went to
http://www.mydomain.com/articles/about.html, since no about.html file
exists, instead the index.php program is executed

So in the end, it is more about what is the best tool for your team, as
either tool works.  My tendency is to use what others are using
successfully if there is such deployed internally rather than create
competing systems....that way internally it is easier to transfer skills.